Joshua Portlock is a robotic engineer come entrepreneur, primarily focused on electric VTOL technology with a passion for advancing the transition to sustainable aviation. He is an Australian innovation leader of multidisciplinary design optimised aerodynamics, electric propulsion and control systems. Inventor of market leading CyberQuad and 4Scight ducted quad UAVs. Recognised in Anthills Smart 100 and Manufacturing Monthly’s Young Manufacturer of the Year.
After a decade of pioneering the drone industry in his ScientificAerospace company, Joshua founded Electro.Aero in 2014 to pursue his long-term vision of advancing the transition to environmentally sustainable aviation, through commercializing electric aircraft. After years of research and development, 2016 was a busy year for Electro.Aero undertaking the following activities:
- Development and flight testing of FlyKart flying go-kart prototype
- Ordered first Pipistrel Alpha Electro in the Southern Hemisphere
- Established Rottnest.Aero booking system for Rottnest Air-Taxi
- Signed up as the official distributor for Sun Flyer in Asia Pacific
- Acquired 26% of Trek Aerospace to further bolster collaboration
Through 2017 Joshua is focused on Electro.Aero and Trek Aerospace filling an identified gap in the electric aircraft industry, which is safe, efficient, high performance electric ducted fans, capable of achieve both high static thrust for take-off and hover, while also achieving efficient forward flight. Joshua is confident these ElectroDucts will be a game changer and catalyst for viable electric air-taxis in the future.